Monday, 23 February 2015

Honors Year

I'm heading into my 4th year of my design degree in Visual Communication at UTS. I'm feeling a little nervous yet curious as to what this year will bring.

Over the past 2-3 months I kept myself busy by attending some awesome creative talks, partaking in design thinking projects, getting out and exploring the wonderful outdoors whilst also making room for lots of socialising! Along side that, I managed to complete my intern at Inside Out Magazine and settle into my new casual job at Officeworks. I also received some GREAT NEWS - I've been selected to partake in an upcoming Global studio elective to Japan in early April this year! Super excited for that.

Whilst it was a very full on 'break', I think I made the most of the time given. Especially considering it allowed me to begin making sense of where I wanted to head with design and my life in general- and that is to apply more ethical and sustainable practices to everything I do. I always been interested in the whole environmental and social change sector but never really went out of my way to apply it. I believe it's something that should be at the forefront of all designers minds. And at the forefront of everyone's mind really. But it's not unfortunately (most often it's $$$$).

Don't get me wrong, we need design to help promote businesses, events etc but more often than not, there are better ways to go about it. What's more, there is a great need for design to advocate social change. Not many people are open to new things. To challenging existing ways of doing. And to moving forward. Design can help with that.

For a long time I've struggled with this feeling of 'helplessness'. It is so easy to become overwhelmed. There is so much evil in this world and only so much we can do to make things better. I kept asking myself, how can I as a student studying design make a positive difference? What good can one person who cares, do? Not much I thought. But a friend of mine was able to shed some positive light and view this feeling of 'helplessness' as something good, as something useful.

"Think about the big problems in a world society. War, incredible poverty, diseases, some that have been cured in the Western World that still effect those in developing nations. Education not available to everyone. These are massive, massive problems. And it takes people like you who genuinely care to help fix that in one way or another. And the pure vastness of a problem, the thing that fuels your feelings of helplessness and ineptitude, also fuel that need to help and change". - Elliott Xavier

Subsequently, I've made it a goal of mine this year to do just that. 
How I do it, I'm yet to figure out. I'm hoping to track my progress here and at the same time possibly inspire others to go on this journey towards being better with me. 

Wish me luck! 







No comments:

Post a Comment